Friday, February 22, 2008

Now that I've been back for 2 years, how are things ?

Well, nothing much, to say the truth... I am back in the good ole US of A, and a little bored, to be honest, lol (I am always honest, too much so for the taste of some folks I know!)I am in the process of ripping out 50 % of my house: the half of the 3rd floor, the half of the second floor, the entire stairwell, and the foyer on the first floor!
My house is 100 years old, a solid brick Victorian Tudor construction, and it deserves that somebody (pointing finger at my humble self) should update it thoroughly and give it a new spanking outlook for the next 100 years to come: so that means, besides new walls: a totally revamped and upgraded electric system, and believe you me, it needs it: when we checked out all our circuits, we discovered that of the 40 circuits, number 18 had about 60 % of all electrical connections on it! Scary, you might say, and I could not agree more! Next, we tear out all the old radiators and go exclusively central air and heating. That means, we also revamp and overhaul our heating system at large: our heating and cooling room in the basement looks more like a strange powerhouse with stuff going and coming in and from all directions, very confusing indeed. There has to be a way to simplify that, and I will find out how.So, new energy efficient furnaces, one for each level in the house, then, while we're at it (a dangerous expression that one!!!) also we will throw out the old hot water tank, and replace it with a modern flow-through heater per floor and per bath (3). What else? Oh yes, new wood floors on levels 2 and 3: 2 gets a solid oak parquet, and 3 gets a solid bamboo parquet, very nice, I love that!And of course, we put cable and phone connections just about everywhere, plus a huge new bathroom on level 2, complete with a super duper shower, a very nice Maax bathtub, and marble floors and the works! I design all of that myself, which is fun, I admit!OK, that was phase one, more or less....When I am done with all that, phase two will be the rip out of my kitchen, the tear-down of the wall between the kitchen and the dining room, to open up that space and integrate them into one new and more modern-family style space. All new and re-designed kitchen, close off one entrance, re-design also the adjacent breakfast room, new floors in kitchen and breakfast room.
And if I am not fed-up with all of that remodeling, I'll move on to the basement, where I will redesign my laundry room and give the basement a new floor, too: a nice, simple and utilitarian tile floor, easy to clean and durable. Voila, in case you wondered why I am bored, ha ha ha!!!NOT!!!

No comments: